Sunday, January 18, 2009

Couch Sits

I sat the couch this morning from 6 am to noon, and I have to admit - I like couch sits. I always think I'm going to get that book read, or that scarf knitted, in today's case, I was planning to watch 3 episodes of Quantum Leap I had loaded onto my iPod. I do love my Scott, after all, and he's shirtless quite a lot in these eps! :)

Anyway, I didn't even get one page of my book read - it's such a social time. I sat with Kari, the lady I got to go to Nashville with Thanksgiving week. (See pix in previous post) She spent some time sleeping in the quiet room, and while she was out another lady I've flown with recently (and whose career I've been following over at flightattendants.org since before I signed on with Frontier) came by and we visited for quite a long time. I got to do some "pastoral care" for her by listening to her vent about some things that have been going on in her personal life and felt much closer to her by the time she had to leave for her trip. Turns out we have the same mother! Go figure!

Anyway, when I'm done with my couch sits I almost always leave feeling connected and re-energized by the friends/colleagues I've been blessed to see that day. That's a powerful feeling. Although I won't ask for couch shifts if/when I ever get to hold a line, a part of me will miss those opportunities to say hello and touch base with such a huge variety of folks.

2 comments:

Susan said...

You have done a beautiful job of verbalizing what a couch sit is like! I, too, come armed with several "busy items," but never succeed in completing any of them because I'm too busy socializing with co-workers!

And I've been on the receiving end of your pastoral care...you are a Godsend. Thank you!

Kelly said...

::blushing:: aw, shucks, ma'am. tweren't nothin'....