Thursday, May 28, 2009

Obviously, I Wasn't Fine!

Sorry about the previous post, guys. My computer hiccuped just after I typed the title, and posted my blog with no content. I immediately went back to edit my post, but fifteen minutes later, edit almost complete, my computer hiccuped again and shut itself off, so my edited post wasn't saved. At that point, I said, "Forget it! I'm going to bed!" and decided I'd just fix it today.

I got back last night from a 6 leg, two day trip worth 13.50 hours, with only 9 hours of rest on the ground at our layover. The truly humorous thing to me is that my post was all about how my esteemed colleagues and I just couldn't seem to get anything right on this trip. And my screwing up yesterday evening's post just sort of proves my point!

But the passengers were having problems, too: a gentleman spilled a brand new cup of Bloody Mary mix all over his khaki-panted lap and seatbelt; several passengers had to run back for things usually not forgotten, like laptops and suitcases; and somebody got chewing gum all over both parts of the buckle on their seatbelt.

As for the flight attendants: during one safety demo, the fa completely blanked on the words "flotation devices for children", much to the passengers amusement; later on, she verified over the PA that the aft doors were "disarmed", when we were actually arming them for take-off. The fa in the front almost told us to prepare for arrival over the PA, when we were actually preparing for departure, but caught herself at the last minute.

Me? I kept dropping things. I dropped a full can of Pepsi, which exploded all over the galley; while I was cleaning it up, I knocked a cup of diet Dr. Pepper off the shelf onto the floor; I couldn't remember for 10 seconds what anybody's drink order was, especially if there was extra conversation, and worst of all - I (gently) dropped a VERY heavy bag on a gentleman's head while I was trying to help a woman put it in the overhead bin. Even though I think part of the reason I lost my grip is because it was at least 60 pounds, I was still mortified. Luckily the gentleman had a great sense of humor:

Me: "Sir, I'm so sorry about that bag. Are you ok?"
Him: "Sorry, I can't understand you, due to my new brain damage."
Me: "Oh! Well, I was actually going to comp your TV for you today as an apology, but since you can't understand me anyway....."
Him: "I'm healed!"

Was it a full moon, or was it holiday weekend leftovers? I don't know, but sometimes trips take on a personality of their own. Thank goodness I was flying with kind, professional ladies who both had wonderfully funny personalities. It made all the frustration over brain-farts humorous and uplifting instead of downheartening, as they sometimes can be. And I knew, and think they did, too, that even though we made mistakes, we still knew what we were doing and had the safety thing in full control. We just had little "human" moments along the way!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Thanks kelly! I am so bummed I am going back to work and you made me smile. Those trips are so bizarre and ggod thing everything was fun after all!