Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Light Shines in the Darkness

Here's a lesson on the importance of staying focused on the positive:

After driving all the way to the airport for my usual 6 am couch sit on Sunday and then getting sent home, I got assigned a Cabo San Lucas turn yesterday for my day 2 of 5, with an 8:30 am show time. I arrived on time, but the plane was delayed coming out of Omaha and we ended up leaving at 12:30 for what was originally a 9:35 departure. We should have been back at 4:15 pm, but I finally cleared customs at 7:30 pm, ending up with an 11 hour duty day. I called crew scheduling and found out I had been assigned a 3 day trip for the next day, with a 5:45 am show time this morning. A hell 3 day trip, worth a total of 21 hours -

Day 1 - MSP turn, 3 hour sit, DTW leg getting into Detroit at 11:00 pm, 11 hour layover; 13 1/2 hour duty day. (3 total legs)

Day 2 (Christmas Eve) - 8:35 am showtime, back to DEN; ABQ turn; MCI leg getting into Kansas City at 6:30 pm, 21 hour layover; 11 hour duty day. (4 total legs)

Day 3 (Christmas Day) - 3:35 pm showtime, back to DEN; PDX victory lap, getting back into DEN at 11:45 pm; 9 1/2 hour duty day. (3 legs again)

Since I literally had only 10 hours and 15 minutes until my new showtime, I decided to spend the night in the crew lounge. After sleeping poorly, I awoke, got dressed, got my stuff together for my showtime, met with the crew for briefing, etc., all the while feeling bummed about my horrible 3 day trip that wouldn't get me home in time to spend any of the official holiday with my family. One problem - I FORGOT TO CHECK-IN. Crew Scheduling called the crew lounge at 6:00, wondering where I was. I got a Late Show - bad news in this industry. The crew scheduler was very sweet when I explained that yes, I obviously screwed up, but in my poor, addled brain I felt like I never stopped being on duty since I spent the night here. She sympathized, gave me my late show, and advised I call my inflight manager.

Great - a crap couple of days already, and then I go and do something boneheaded like this! Life should really be hell right about now, except for focusing on the positive -

I had two of the nicest ladies you could ever want to fly with on my MSP turn; the passengers were mostly in cheerful moods; when I got back from my MSP turn I did talk to my inflight manager who understood what happened and removed my late show (Hooray!); and best of all - as the passengers deplaned back here in Denver, a lady reached into her tote bag, pulled out a beautiful, royal blue hand-knitted scarf and said, "Here! Merry Christmas!" All 3 of us flight attendants received one of her incredible gifts. When we protested, this kind Mrs. Claus merely shrugged and said modestly, "It's just what I do."

Wow.....so just when life could be total and utter hell, the light shines in the darkness and the darkness shall not overcome it. Amen. And "Merry Christmas."

1 comment:

Susan said...

What a wonderful story! I feel so bad for you and the yuccky trip you got...but your inflight manager was a doll, and that lady with the scarf was a Godsend! Lucky you!!!