Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Facebook and This Job = Amazing Things Happen

I signed up for a Facebook page a little over a year ago now at the suggestion of my friend, Kate. I already had a MySpace page and figured Facebook wouldn't be any different but thought I'd do it for a lark anyway. Holy cow was I wrong! Anybody who has talked to me even for a little while in the past year knows about my new Facebook addiction. Hey, admitting it is the first step: "Hi, my name is Kelly, and I've been addicted for Facebook for about 13 months now." "Hi, Kelly."

Anyway, I've been amazed...nay - BLOWN AWAY - by the people I've re-connected with on Facebook: high school chums, former congregation members, current congregation members, old colorguard buddies, old boyfriends, current co-workers, cousins, siblins, nieces and nephews; the list goes on and on.

But combine these re-connections with my current traveling job and it truly starts to reach surreal and miraculous proportions - at least in my opinion. Take today. I am currently sitting in Phoenix, AZ on a 17 hour layover. Phoenix also happens to be the new home base of a very special friend of mine I lost touch with right about the time my first child was born just over 14 years ago. We found each other a month or so ago on Facebook, discovered we had been looking for one another for years, and I've been hoping for a Phoenix trip ever since. And today, I have one.

I am waiting now for him to get off work and come pick me up for our "big" reunion, and I have to admit that although I am excited, I am also a little nervous, too. I mean, after all, we've both come a long way, geographically and figuratively, in the years since we've seen each other. I've gained and lost 150 pounds, another child and a permanent set of glasses on my face; he's gained a few distinguishing laugh lines around his eyes and a few more gray hairs in his beard (at least, that's what it looks like from the pictures on his Facebook page). And that's just what's obvious. What if we don't know how to talk to one another anymore? We used to exchange letters (old school, snail mail style) back when we were in high school, then phone calls, then weekend visits where we never seemed to run out of laughs or things to share. Then, when I got married, everything went POOF! and he was gone, almost before I knew it.

Stay tuned for for an update and pix.....

No comments: