Sunday, January 11, 2009

Friggin' Fraggin' Computer Issues

It's been hard for me to catch a moment to update this site the last few weeks - all of our laptops are on their last legs, or have bitten the dust. Erik's lap top he usually brings home from work is having re-charging issues, so he's leaving it at work as much as possible; our old lap top from Kevin has finally bitten the dust and won't hold a charge; I haven't ordered a new power cord for my "new" Macbook yet, and the laptop I'm currently using (Van's old one) has a broken screen, so we've hooked it up to an old desk top monitor. Great, except for now the computer overheats and shuts down after a couple of hours use. Sigh.....someday we'll learn to take care of stuff. (Read: that is, someday our children will learn to take care of stuff - when they're the ones paying for it!)

Anyway, life is chugging along now that the holidays are over. When we got back from our quick trip to Dallas, we had literally just stepped off our plane at DIA when Crew Scheduling called attempting to junior assign me for the second time that day. I listened to the email and they needed someone to take a Sacramento overnight trip. I checked flight loads, which were pretty wide open for both flights so - Hanna went with me! We had a really great time. We have contract shuttle service there so we got a nice cushy SUV ride on the way to the hotel. The next morning we went to the mall across the highway and walked around for a couple of hours, had lunch, and then walked back. Best of all - our ride back to the airport was a white stretch limo. Mine and Hanna's eyes were both huge, as it was a first for both of us. Seriously, it sure was fun watching her delight in her first limo ride and hearing her joke about how she was going to lord it over her friends.

The only downer was I got sent on a SLC turn when we got back so Erik had to drive all the way to Denver to pick her up, but he didn't mind. We knew that was a possibility when I accepted the assignment. And thankfully, crew scheduling called me to tell me about it while we were still in Sacramento so he had plenty of time to get down there before we got back.

The next day I got short called for a 3 day trip worth 18 hours or so. We had a Las Vegas overnight then an Indianapolis overnight with turns on the beginning and end of the trip. Tiring, but not the worst trip I've ever gotten. The ladies I flew with were nice and we spent a pleasant couple of shopping hours in Indy before our show time.

I enjoyed 3 days off at home with the family, sat the couch yesterday and am now sitting at home on call wondering when the phone will ring. It FEELS quiet, but you never know. I'm good for 3 days after today, so I'm content with another 3 day trip tomorrow, especially if I get to enjoy this bonus day at home for a change. Keep your fingers crossed!!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Hello darling!!!

It seems like you are keeping a positive outlook on all that is happening to you...I'm proud of you! A stretch limo!!! That is too cool. I'm glad you and Hannah got to share that moment!