Friday, May 15, 2009

At Least It's Not the Piggy Kind

I have the flu.

This past Tuesday night Erik and I went to Hanna's band concert and I started feeling weird and run down during the concert. Since it was a middle school band concert, Erik joked that it was probably just the bad music making me feel yucky (naughty man! lol). Felt ok all day Wednesday, but felt it coming on again Wednesday night. Just a general all over malaise and achy feeling.

By the time I got to the airport yesterday morning for my usual 6 am couch shift, I was feeling pretty run down. I got lucky and didn't get sent anywhere, and by the time I got home around 2 pm, I felt really crappy, complete with a fever. When Erik came home with a brand new thermometer for me and we took my temp it was 101 degrees. Uh oh - time to call Crew Scheduling and call out for at least the next day.

To complicate matters, I just did a Puerto Vallarta turn this past Sunday and although we didn't get off the plane, I did bring back passengers who had been there on a great big germ tube , so I thought it might be prudent of me to call my doc and get tested for Swine Flu. Now before you roll your eyes at me, I didn't really think I HAD swine flu; just that it would be better to know for sure than to assume, "I probably don't have it." I'm happy to report the test results were negative, just as I suspected. The doctor said I do have A flu, just not THE flu.

She also strongly recommended that I spend the next three days at home resting rather than flying, and I'm grateful for that. My fever is gone for the most part today, but every time I make myself get up off the sofa I feel exhausted before I take ten steps.

Tomorrow, the rest of my family is flying to ABQ to spend the day with friends and to help celebrate one friend's high school graduation. I intend to spend the day on the couch with Coda on my feet to keep my toes warm, watching movie after movie. The peace and quiet, I'm sure, will do wonders for my recuperation.

No comments: